It's a challenge to get through snowy, frosty days. More seasonal weather can't come soon enough. But while we grind through January, there is a number of tasks that can be completed in the landscape.
1. snow clearing and ice melter spreading, obviously. This can be back breaking labour but it keeps us busy
2. brushing snow off plants, gently, to avoid breakage
3. installing river rock
4. removing tree stakes older than one season
5. Pruning trees and removing snow-damaged branches
6. Perennial cut-back, not completed last year
7. Cedar hedge shearing
8. Overdue blade edging
Unusual amounts of snow and well-below seasonal temperatures can be annoying for landscapers but it's OK to take a few minutes to enjoy the landscapes. Some Sedums and ornamental grasses were not cut back in the fall and they look good with snow on top of them. Redosier dogwoods also look great with their red twigs (Cornus sericea).
Cute snowmen are a bonus!
Happy New Year!!
Vas Sladek, B.Sc., CLT